Rhubarb and Date Chutney - "How to make" recipe from the Jam Jar Shop
Samm has been using this Date and Rhubarb Chutney Recipe and she is so impressed we've been instructed to share it with you (Makes 10-12 1lb jars).
- 1.8 kgs rhubarb, cut into pieces
- 450g dates, chopped
- 450g onions, finely chopped
- 15g ground ginger
- 50g mixed spice
- 7g curry powder
- 15g salt
- 900g brown sugar
- 1 litre malt vinegar
How to make Rhubarb and Date Chutney
- Place first three ingredients into preserving pan together with the spices, salt and sugar and 500ml of the vinegar.
- Simmer together until soft, add more vinegar to prevent sticking.
- Stir from time to time. This will take around one and a half hours.
- The rhubarb may contain a lot of moisture which needs to be cooked off. Up to 150ml of the vinegar may not be needed.
- Pot at once into warm, sterilised jars and seal immediately.