Spiced Blackberry Relish - "How to make" recipe from the Jam Jar Shop
- 2.2lbs/1kg blackberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 8 fl oz/250ml red wine vinegar
Spices tied in muslin:-
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 5 cloves
- small piece whole cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- Piece fresh ginger (1 inch, 2.5cms)
How to make Spiced Blackberry Relish
- Wash 4-6 8oz/227g jars and put into the oven to heat and dry.
- Make up the spice bag in a muslin square - bruise the whole spices slightly to release the flavours
- Place half of the blackberries into a pan and heat over a low heat until the juices are running.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or so until the blackberries are really soft and cooked through.
- Blend the contents of the pan with a stick processore, or in a food processor, until smooth.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the pan and cook, uncovered, for around 15 minutes until thickened.
- Pot into the pre-heated jars and seal tightly. Great with game, turkey, venison.