Pickled Cherries Recipe Ingredients
- 1kg black or red cherries
- 300ml red wine vinegar
- 350g soft brown sugar
- 3 sticks cinnamon
- 1 x 5ml teaspoon whole cloves
Maraschino Cherries Recipe Ingredients
- 500g Cherries
- 113g/4 oz caster sugar
- 100ml/4 fl oz water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 250ml Maraschino liqueur - we used Luxardo, the best, found on-line
Cherry Recipe Equipment
- Large preserving pan
- Wooden spoon
- Jam Jars - We recommend a pack of 8oz Jars or a pack of 8oz Hexagonal Jars
- Muslin cloth
- Cellophane covers & waxed discs
HOW TO MAKE PICKLED CHERRIES
- Prepare the cherries by removing any stalks, washing and draining.
- Tie the spices into a piece of muslin and put into a pan with the sugar and vinegar.
- Stir to dissolve the sugar as much as possible then bring the boil
- Add the cherries, reduce to a simmer for 15-20 mins.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and pack into washed, warmed jars.
- Reduce the liquid in the pan further by fast-boiling for 5 minutes.
- Pour over the cherries to cover and seal tightly.
This will make 4-5 8oz jars and will be ready to use in around four weeks - great with duck, game or rich meats or cheeses
HOW TO MAKE CHERRY JAM
You can make Cherry Jam but as cherries have little of the magic pectin you will need to add a sachet or bottle of commercial pectin to make the jam set.
Why not try a mixture of fruit berries with the cherries - strawberries, raspberries and some red, black or white currants which makes superlative jam with none of the problems
HOW TO MAKE MARASCHINO CHERRIES
INCOMPARABLE TO THE BOUGHT VARIETY AND VERY, VERY EASY TO MAKE:-
- You will need 500g cherries and you will need to remove the stones. A cherry pitter is ideal for this as it doesn't spoil the shape so much and it is best to wear gloves or your hands will be stained.
- If you can get authentic Marasca cherries so much the better but the darker cherries will give a great result.
- Once the cherries are prepared, put all of the remaining ingredients except the liqueur and cherries, into a pan and stir to combine.
- Heat and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce the heat, add the cherries and simmer for around 5 mins.
- Remove from the heat, allow to cool a little and then add the liqueur. Pot up into sterilised pretty jars and seal - will keep in the fridge for around 2 weeks.
- To keep longer, seal loosely, then sterilise by the water bath method, keep for up to 12 months, refrigerate once opened.