- 1 kg plums
- zest and juice of 2-3 oranges
- 500g Russet apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 200g currants
- 200g raisins
- 200g sultanas
- 100g orange marmalade
- 250g demerara sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 nutmeg, freshly grated
- 50ml ginger cordial, optional
- 100g chopped walnuts
- 50ml brandy or sloe gin
- Large preserving pan
- Wooden spoon
- Jam Jars - We recommend a pack of 450g Jars (16oz)
- Muslin cloth
- Cellophane covers & waxed discs
- River Cottage hand book by Pam Corbin
HOW TO MAKE PLUM MINCEMEAT
- Stone the plums, and cook them with the orange juice until tender.
- Blend in an electric processor or push through a sieve - you should end up with around 700ml plum puree.
- Put into a large bowl with all of the other ingredients except the brandy or sloe gin.
- Cover and leave to stand overnight or for 12 hours.
- Bake in a large baking dish for 2 to 21/2 hours at 130 degree C or Gas Mark 1/2.
- Remove from the oven
- stir in the brandy or sloe gin into warm, sterilised jars, making sure there are no air pockets.
- Store in a dry, dark place ready for Christmas. Use within 12 months.
Mmmmmmmm - yummy plummy