- 1 large onion
- 1.5 kg cooking apples
- 150g granulated sugar
- 20 small sage leaves
- 375ml any flavour cider
- knob of butter
- splash of oil
- Large preserving pan
- Swing Top Glass bottles
- Muslin cloth
HOW TO MAKE APPLE SAGE AND CIDER SAUCE
THIS IS A PERFECT SAUCE RECIPE TO ACCOMPANY A JUICY BIT OF PORK!
- Put the butter and oil together in a large pan, cook the onion until soft and translucent and then add the apples.
- Cook for 5 minutes, add the cider, sugar and sage leaves and cook until the apples are really soft.
- Either sieve the contents of the pan or use a food processor, blending until smooth.
- Bottle into warm sterilised bottles.
- Use within 2 months or sterilise by the water bath method to increase shelf life to one year.
- Great with rich meats.