Berries come into season in May, with the sweet cherry shining brightly under the sunny skies. It’s also prime time to preserve some for a picnic or your holidays in the UK. At the Jam Jar Shop, we have a plentiful selection of different sized glass jars, from hexagonal glass jars to classic round jam jars.
- Sterilised glass jar(s)
- 1 Large saucepan
- Wooden spoon
- 1kg cherry, stoned
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 500g jam and sugar with added pectin
- zest and juice 2 lemon
HOW TO MAKE CHERRY & CINNAMON CONSERVE
- Place two small saucers or plates in the freezer to cool.
- Chop 1/3 of your cherries and add them to the pan.
- Add a broken cinnamon stick to the pan.
- Mix in the lemon zest and juice along with 150ml water.
- Bring gently to the boil, before reducing the heat and simmer for 20 mins.
- Stir casually until you can feel the cherries have softened.
- Add the sugar and stir until it has dissolved.
- Increase the heat and boil for 4-5 mins until the conserve has softened.
- Perform a test by decanting the conserve onto a chilled saucer from the freezer.
- Press gently with your finger or spoon to see if it wrinkles slightly.
- If it doesn’t re-boil for a few minutes before repeating the test.
- Ensure you have sterilised the jars and scoop into clean, warm jars.
- Store in the fridge and enjoy at your leisure!
Cherry and cinnamon conserve provides you with the perfect blend of flavours and so appealing to the eyes that your breakfasts and park lunches gain instant ‘Instagram-able’ appeal.
To take a look at our vast selection of glass jars, bottles and preserving equipment, visit our website and if you have any further enquiries, please contact us today.