RED ONION CHUTNEY - "HOW TO MAKE" RECIPE FROM THE JAM JAR SHOP
Posted by Simon Mayeri on
Whether you add this delight to a hot home-cooked curry with extra spices or pair it perfectly with a salad in the upcoming days of increasing sunlight, this recipe is super easy, and the result is delicious. Our vast selection of square, hexagonal and classic round jam jars act as the perfect place to store your creation because of their aesthetic appeal and storage capabilities.
- Sterilised glass jar(s)
- 1 Large saucepan
- Wooden spoon
- 8 red onions, sliced
- dash grenadine syrup
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 100ml red wine
- 100g caster sugar
HOW TO MAKE RED ONION CHUTNEY
- Ensure you have 8 sliced red onions prepared.
- Place all the onions in a saucepan.
- Add 100g of sugar to the onions and cover.
- Set to a medium heat and cook for about 10 mins to soften the onions.
- Pour the red wine and red wine vinegar and keep it uncovered.
- Simmer for approx. 10 mins until the mixture is sticky from the liquid being reduced.
- Add the grenadine syrup to the mix and stir to mix it coherently.
- Once you have mixed it all together leave it to cool.
- Sterilise your glass jars by washing them in warm soapy water and drying them properly.
- Once you have dry glass jars you can begin to decant your chutney into each jar.
- Seal your jars with vinegar-proof lids and store in a cool, dry place.
Red onion chutney is perfect for batch-cooking as a go-to way of getting more vegetables into your daily consumption since it goes so well with a variety of meals, or even as a replacement to pickle in your lunchtime sandwich snacking foray.
To browse our huge selection of glass jars, bottles and preserving equipment, visit our website and if you have any further enquiries – big or small, please contact us today.