Elderflower Cordial Recipe Ingredients
- 900g/2lbs granulated sugar
- 50g/2oz citric acid
- 2 lemons, sliced
- and about 25 large elderflower heads
Elderflower Cordial Recipe Equipment
- Swing Top Glass bottles
- Muslin cloth
- Waxed discs
- Large Jug or Bowl
- Large preserving pan
- Wooden spoon
HOW TO MAKE ELDERFLOWER CORDIAL
Excellent! Elderflowers - the first free harvest of the year - it really is the beginning of the season proper. Now that the weather is warming up (!) the hedgerows are bursting with blossoms and the elderflowers will soon be at their best. We have a recipe for the incomparable cordial that can be produced at almost no cost - and how often can you say that these days?
- Put the sugar into a large mixing bowl and pour over 3 litres boiling water.
- Stir to dissolve the sugar and then leave to cool. Add the citric acid which acts a a preservative, along with the lemons.
- Shake the flower heads gently to get rid of any bugs and rinse carefully.
- Add to the contents of the bowl, stirring to combine.
- Cover with a clean tea towel and leave for 24 hours to infuse.
- Stir from time to time.
- Pour through a muslin-lined sieve into a jug then decant into sterilised glass bottles and seal.
- Cordial can be diluted to taste with iced sparkling mineral water or soda water.
- Please note that it is better to keep the cordial in the fridge, even before opening, and for no longer than 6 months