Are you up to the challenge of homemade marmalade? Why not deviate from the obvious choice of fruit to the likewise seasonal lemon and pack a punch of flavour into your creation, made easy for you with our condensed recipe that allows you to get stuck in straight away. Put our high quality round jam jars or striking hexagonal jars to good look, or top up your storage cupboard by browsing our online shop.
- Sterilised glass jar(s)
- 1 Large saucepan
- 2 Small plates or saucers
- Muslin cloth and tie
- 1kg unwaxed lemon
- 2kg granulated sugar
- 5L cooking liquid
HOW TO MAKE LEMON MARMALADE
- Wash your lemons.
- Put two small plates in the freezer.
- Remove the top of the lemon that is attached to the stalk.
- Submerge your lemons in a saucepan of 2.5L of water.
- Bring to the boil, place the lid on and simmer for 2.5 hours.
- Alternatively, if the lemons pierce easily with a fork, you can proceed:
- Remove the lemons from the pan.
- Cut the lemons in halves.
- Set aside the pips and any excess lemon juice.
- Ensure you have 1.5L cooking liquid exactly:
- If you have too little, you can top it up with water.
- Cut the lemon peel into strips and put them in the pan.
- Add any lemon juice you reserved with it.
- Put the pips into a tied piece of muslin before adding it in.
- Add the sugar before bringing to the boil.
- Keep stirring until the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Then boil rapidly for around 20 mins until the setting point has been reached.
- Use the chilled plates to test the setting point by scooping a small section onto the surface.
- Once cooled adequately, check if the texture creases upon a light touch.
- If not, simply boil again and repeat the test at regular intervals.
- Leave to cool for around 15 mins.
- Remove the muslin bag and stir gently to pop any air bubbles.
- Once all ‘scum’ has been removed, you can decant the marmalade.
- Ensure all jars used have been sterilised and enjoy at your discretion.
If you love the taste of lemon, this marmalade recipe is sure to satisfy your tastebuds.
To browse more of our glass jars and bottles, please contact us today.