July promises more sun and the reliable arrival of the fruits that ripen during this month. If you are looking to try out an easy recipe for a delicious new jam, this is the one for you. We have a full stock of classic square jars, round jam jars, hexagonal jars and more on our online shop.
- Sterilised glass jam jar(s)
- 1 Large saucepan
- Wooden spoon
- Large Bowl
- 500g peach, halved and stoned, then diced into small slices
- 500g raspberries
- 800g jam sugar
- Juice 1 lemon
- Fingertip-sized knob of butter (optional)
HOW TO MAKE PEACH MELBA JAM
- The night before you make your jam, layer the peaches, berries and sugar in a large bowl.
- Cover the bowl and set aside at room temperature.
- Stir the bowl’s contents in the morning and set aside.
- Place two small saucers in the freezer to test later.
- Decant the peaches and raspberries into a preserving pan –
- Scraping out any undissolved sugar and all the juices with it.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Cook over a low heat until the rest of the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and spoon some of the jam onto the chilled saucer.
- Wait until it has cooled and press jam gently with your finger.
- If it wrinkles, it has set.
- If the texture is runny, return the pan to heat and check intermittently.
- Skim off any scum on the top and stir in butter.
- Leave to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Decant the jam into sterilised jam jars.
- Store in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months and enjoy.
Peach melba jam is certified summer in a jar. Light, sunny and sweet, serve this to enjoy the fruits of the sunny season.
Browse our vast range of glass jars, bottles and preserving equipment, or visit our website and if you have any further enquiries, please contact us today.