Apples come into season when the eighth month of the year comes around and UK favourites work exceedingly well when paired with spices and plums in a delicious chutney creation. Not only is the recipe easily accessible, but our collection of round jam jars, hexagonal jars, square jars and more are too via our our online shop.
- Sterilised glass jam jar(s)
- 1 Large, wide saucepan
- Wooden spoon
- 1kg plums
- 450g golden caster sugar
- 1kg Bramley apples
- 1 garlic bulb
- thumb-size piece fresh root ginger
- 2 large onions
- 3-star anise
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 500ml bottle cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp salt
HOW TO MAKE SPICY PLUM & APPLE CHUTNEY
- Ensure your jars are sterilised and dry.
- Peel your garlic cloves and cut them into slices.
- Peel and thinly shred the ginger.
- Cut the onions in half before peeling and thinly slicing them.
- Put the onion slices in a large saucepan along with the garlic and ginger.
- Peel, core and chop the apples. Add these to the pan with the spices (including the star anise), vinegar and salt.
- Stir well before setting on a gentle heat and bring to the boil.
- Cover the pan as you turn down the heat and simmer for 30 mins until you can see the apples have cooked nicely.
- Stone and quarter the plums before adding them to the cooked apples with the sugar.
- Stir well and leave uncovered for around 35-40 minutes.
- Keep stirring until you can see the plums are cooked and yet not mushy in texture.
- Decant your chutney into your sterilised jars before sealing tight to preserve the flavour.
- Best served after storing for around a month to lessen the sharp taste of the vinegar.
- Store for up to 1 year in a cool dark place.
- Once opened, store in the fridge and use within a month.
Spicy plum and apply chutney can be used in a variety of ways, such as spicing up the taste of your lunchtime sandwich bites to the picky bits you bring to a picnic.
Browse our vast range of glass jars, bottles and preserving equipment, or visit our website and if you have any further enquiries, please contact us today.