- 1.8 kgs rhubarb, cut into pieces
- 450g dates, chopped
- 450g onions, finely chopped
- 15g ground ginger
- 50g mixed spice
- 7g curry powder
- 15g salt
- 900g brown sugar
- 1 litre malt vinegar
- Large preserving pan
- Wooden spoon
- Jam Jars - We recommend a pack of 8oz Jars or a pack of 8oz Hexagonal Jars
- Muslin cloth
- Cellophane covers & waxed discs
- River Cottage hand book by Pam Corbin
HOW TO MAKE RHUBARB AND DATE CHUTNEY
- Place first three ingredients into preserving pan together with the spices, salt and sugar and 500ml of the vinegar.
- Simmer together until soft, add more vinegar to prevent sticking.
- Stir from time to time. This will take around one and a half hours.
- The rhubarb may contain a lot of moisture which needs to be cooked off. Up to 150ml of the vinegar may not be needed.
- Pot at once into warm, sterilised jars and seal immediately.
Share this post
← Older Post
Newer Post →