- 2.2lbs/1kg elderberries, prepared weight
- 2.2lbs/1kg cooking apples
- strips of peel from 1 orange
- granulated sugar
Spices tied in muslin:
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 5 cloves
- small piece whole cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- Piece fresh ginger (1 inch, 2.5cms)
- Large preserving pan
- Wooden spoon
- Jam Jars - We recommend a pack of 8oz Jars or a pack of 8oz Hexagonal Jars
- Muslin cloth
- Cellophane covers & waxed discs
HOW TO MAKE SPICED ELDERBERRY JELLY
- Rinse berries under a tap then strip from the stalks using a dinner fork.
- Wash the cooking apples then chop, leaving skins on and cores in.
- Place in a preserving pan, cover with cold water, bring to boil and simmer until the fruit is really soft, around 45 minutes.
- Strain the fruit through a jelly bag and leave to drip overnight.
- Next day wash 12-16 4oz/115g jars and put into the oven to heat and dry.
- Make up the spice bag in a muslin square - bruise the whole spices slightly to release the flavours
- Measure the juice from the fruit and add 1lb/500g sugar to each 1 pint/600ml juice.
- Place in pan with the spice bag, heat gently whilst stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Increase heat and bring to a rapid boil until setting point is reached.
- Pot into the pre-heated jars and seal tightly. Great with game, turkey, venison.
Tip: Try making a Hedgerow Jelly using a mixture of blackberries, elderberries, crab apples and sloes - delicious!